SURE is a tax relief that provides a refund of income tax that you paid in previous years. You can claim the relief if you are an employee, an unemployed person or a person who has recently been made redundant and are starting your own business.
The general conditions for SURE are that you must:
- Establish a new company carrying on an new qualifying trade activity
- Have mainly salary income in the previous four years
- Take up full employment in the new company as a director or an employee
- Invest cash in the company by purchasing new ordinary shares
- Keep the purchased shares for it least four years
You may be entitled to an income tax refund of up to 41% of the capital invested in your own company under SURE.
There are a number of specific conditions that the individual and the company must meet in order to qualify for this relief. For more information on the qualifying conditions for this relief please refer to www.revenue.ie